Hi, my name isGeert Pasteels.I am a freelance full-stack developer.
01. About me
Since 2006, I've been a creative full stack developer, with a focus on creating effective websites and applications. My approach combines a strong front-end development skill set with a solid understanding of back-end technologies.
I prioritize clear communication and understanding your needs. Whether it's a new project from scratch or improving an existing one, I'm ready to tackle your web development challenges with expertise and enthusiasm.
Cisco Systems, Inc
2014 - 2024
A global leader in design and manufacture of internet communications technologies (ICT) and services, with >70,000 employees in 90 countries and annual revenue of $47 billion.
Full-stack developer for the internal applications.
- Support for redesign of CaseMaker customer-facing outputs, ensuring usability and intuitive understanding of financial outputs through improvements on data and information visualisation.
- Technical coordination of CaseMaker development in accordance with Cisco data security rules and IT policy.
- Developed a deal monitoring system for over 60,000 active renewals, equipping renewals managers with automatically generated business reports to counteract discount pressure.
Wolf's Little Store
2013 - 2014
Belgian company that specializes in digital product design with a strong prototyping methodology.
- Creating a command line tool with Node.js for extracting data from OSX ICAL that's used for accounting.
2012 - 2014
Media company that specializes in creating designs and working websites for one of Belgium’s largest producer of children's television series and amusement parks.
- Browser game (platform) for one of the Studio100 characters using the game framework Phaser.js.
2011 - 2012
Peter Eysermans is a freelance professional with a strong knowledge of the .NET ecosystem, Agile and Test Driven Development.
- Creating the social platform Bookido.be for book lovers and bookstores. Social users of the site can follow other users, rate books, get recommendations, search and buy books from Belgian bookstores through an e-commerce platform.
2001 - 2014
Creative communications company with a strong focus on visual design ranging from large format printing to web solutions.
- Creating a CMS backed website for Wicreations, one of Belgian's largest designers in custom stages for the entertainment industry.
- Creating and consulting on newsletters for a high-end clothing store.
As my contract with Cisco Systems is coming to an end, I've updated my personal website and résumé. I chose Next.js for development and am hosting it on my home server, utilizing Cloudflare's Cache Reserve.
2023 - 2024
A personal project to get more familiar with TypeScript and some of the newer frameworks & technologies. Throughout the UX/Design phase, my aim was to create a focused UI, steering clear of the excess features often present in other invoice applications.
On the technical side, I wanted to have a strongly typed API so that it could be used on both the front-end and back-end.
The project began with NextJS, Remix, and gRPC, eventually settling on a SPA with AdonisJS with and React.js. An OpenAPI specification was created and used for integration tests and generated the types for the front- end.
The project is self-hosted on my home server as a docker container managed by Portainer with Traefic as the reverse proxy.
To improve my front-end application development skills I needed a side project. I settled on a calendar application for gardening. Initially, I used AngularJS, but soon encountered performance issues. This led me to explore React.js, which was fairly new at the time. During discussions with React.js developers on IRC, they asked if they could showcase it on their blog.
Content Management System
While working on content websites, I found myself frustrated with platforms like Drupal, Wordpress, and Umbraco. Having experience with Django and Ruby on Rails, where files and models are the backbone of the application, I decided to create a CMS that followed a similar approach. Rather than dealing with never-ending admin panels and storing all the configuration in a database, I opted for a setup where I could adjust everything through files, version control them and then deploy to a PAAS.
The Clean Coders Screencasts
A video course by Uncle Bob Martin for writing better professional applications with a strong focus on the SOLID design principals.
Destroy All Software
These videos give concrete examples on how to write applications using TDD, GIT and the Unix platform.
Clojure for the Brave and True
This is an online book for learning the Clojure functional programming language. Functional programming languages like Clojure/Clojurescript and Elm pioneered state management systems which to this day are still used in front- end development.
2004 - 2005
1998 to 2002
IBAN: BE73 9731 4775 3060
Enterprise number: 0647.529.933